Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day of the Dead Sugar Skulls

I love the look and thought behind Day of the Dead (Dia de Muertos). This celebration occurs on November 1 and 2 in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saint's and All Soul's Days.  The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and honor friends and family members who have passed.

I grew up in Southern California and was influenced by the beauty of Mexican culture. During my visit there last year I was inspired by my trip to Olvera Street by all the beauty and colorfulness of the sugar skulls. Since this is my summer of reusing and repurposing (and cleaning out old stuff), I uncovered some long forgotten masks in my basement. These African masks were left over from previous décor from another house.

Armed with white spray paint and temporary tattoos from Michael's, I transformed those old masks into something new and updated (for me anyway). Sorry, I can't find my before pictures. The original masks were all brown or grey. I didn't do anything to them structurally, just went wild with the spray paint.

These are the tattoos I got from Michael's. They were about $2.50 per pack. I just mixed and matched to create my own designs.





Here they all are hanging on the wall of my craft room. I just love them!  Sorry for the quality of the photo. It's not the best but you get the idea. After I put on the tattoos (the same way you would on your skin - with water), I let them dry well. Then I sprayed with several light coats of acrylic to make sure they will stay on.
 
Another Super Simple craft!  And I get to reuse and repurpose something I would have otherwise donated. I'm on a mission to decorate my craft room in a cool and eclectic style of things that bring me joy. I think I am on my way!
 
And if you don't have any masks hanging around your house, look at thrift shops and yard sales. Once you decide what you are looking for, you'll be surprised how things will jump out at you!
 
Happy Crafting!


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment