Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Craft A Week #13: Finger Knitting

When I saw this craft on Pinterest, I knew I had to try it with my grandkids, particularly A.J. (age 9). A.J. is really interested in my crochet work and I "taught" him how to a few months ago.  (Not so much taught because he couldn't really do it himself; more like I sat with him and half did it for him. Being a big boy of 9 AND a perfectionist, this really didn't work for him.

I'm not sure how I never heard of hand knitting before. It's sort of like weaving (over/under) and really simple.  Here's A.J. in action:


Note that he is knitting so fast that it is all just a blur!

 
So simple. All you do is wrap the yarn around your fingers one way, wrap the opposite way on your way back, then pull first round over the second.  Can you see one of the finished scarves on the couch beside him?


Here his is proudly showing off one of his finished products while working on another.


The complete, step by step instructions can be found here:  Flax and Twine Finger Knitting.  This was a perfect craft for a 9 year old, though it was a little boring and challenging for his sister Kylie (age 8).  Anne Weil (at Flax and Twine) says she's taught much younger kids (age 4 or so) to do this but it seems to me it would have to be a very dexterous kid.  While this craft is super simple, it does take some fine motor skills.

A.J. wanted to make a scarf from his strips so I single crocheted two together to make it thicker and more substantial.  This is a great project for a kid to make as a gift. He learned how to do this last night and within a few hours, he completed two strips (which I sewed into a scarft). He made another for his sister, one for me, and now working on one for his mom.  What a great craft for a kid!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment