Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, February 27, 2012

Craft A Week #16 Chalkboard Coffee Cans

I must have a dozen plastic coffee cans around my house from my pre-Keurig days.

Being the avid saver that I am, I always figure there is something that I can/will do with them.  They make great storage containers but they really aren't very pretty (sorry Folgers).  So I decided to upcycle them by painting with chalkboard paint. 


I had this chalkboard paint on hand but you can also find instructions on how to make your own on Pinterest.  The label instructions say to paint at least two coats, letting dry an hour between. I did three but if I had to do again, I'd do at least four coats and I would scuff it up with sandpaper before the first coat. I'm thinking this will give the paint something to hold onto (rather than the slick surface of the plastic).


After you put on the desired number of paint coats, let it dry for 24 hours. After that, cover the entire surface with chalk to cure it.  You can wipe if right off and now it is ready for use.


Super simple!  I really wanted/needed a compost bin but I think these would be great for all kinds of kids toys and art supplies. I actually have a bunch of these coffee cans (unpainted) that I use to store the grandkids toys (crayons, army men, Polly Pockets). These will look much nicer on the shelf than the unpainted red ones. And the kids can decorate. Art and organization! Who could ask for more?!

No comments:

Post a Comment