Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Craft a Week #12: Revamped Plant Lamp

What a busy day I've had! I did some major cleaning today: scrubbed floors and cupboards, put all the leftover Christmas stuff away, cleaned up the dining room, etc. In addition to that, I finally painted the floor lamp I have sustaining a lovely plant that lives in my entryway. It's been on my to do list since September so I'm thrilled to cross it off!

I love (need) to have plants growing in the house during the fall/winter. Sadly, my house doesn't have many places that have the right light. During the summer months I grow lovely and lush plants on the deck. When the weather turns cool I bring those plants in the house and try to nurse them along til they can make it back outside again in the spring. Some years they just barely make it so this year I was determined to try something different.

I found this 1950/60's lamp at a yard sale that  think I got for free. While I knew it could serve my purposes, it really didn't fit my house style.  Since it is in my entryway, I knew it needed a revamp.


Here's my finished product:



Amazing what a couple coats of paint will do!  I'm on a mission to use the supplies I have on hand so I used the rust colored paint I already had. You can't tell from this picture but after a few coats of that, I sprayed with a textured tan color that I also had in the cupboard. It really gives the final project a layered look of depth that these pictures don't do justice.


Here's the lamp in action!  And, fyi, you don't need to buy those expensive plant lamp bulbs (I've done that in the past). These are just regular bulbs. Think about it: Plants in offices tend to grow beautifully and thoselights aren't anything special.  I usually turn the lights on when I leave for class in the afternoon (around 2 p.m.) and turn off when I go upstairs to bed. It serves two purposes; gives the plant light and makes it so I don't have to come home to a dark house.


Doesn't the plant look great?! Super happy and healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment