Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas on a Budget

I know we all are on a budget this year (yet again). We all know the traditional budgetary gifts (making breads, cookies, candies, etc). but I was thinking of more creative options this year.  Here's some of the top gifts that I'm giving this year.

1.  Daffodil bulbs. Here in Central PA, the winter months can get rather gloomy.  I love to give this gift as it has the promise of spring built right into it. (And the price is right)! 

I had a pack of daffodil bulbs in my garage refrigerator that I got last spring for free.  They were a give away from one of those bulb catalogues.  (I know our Walmart has some spring bulbs out now so you can still get them). I bought the glasses and decorative rocks at the Dollar Store.  So my out of pocket cost for each of these is about $1.33. 



Super easy to make too:  Put a few rocks in the bottom of the glass. Place the bulb in the glass and put stones around it. Add about an inch of water, put in a sunny window, and in 6 weeks or so you will have a bloom.   Who wouldn't love to receive this as a gift?




2. Books, books, books.  Most everyone I know loves to read but the cost of most new books tends to knock that gift option off my list. I've learned to keep my eyes open though as you never know where you can find some pretty amazing books.  Case in point:



I got these books (and more) from the Dollar Store (new) and the library (used). They were the perfect fit for at least 6 people on my gift list.  I also check out the books section at thrift shops.  If you keep your eyes open, you never know what you will find.

3.  Vintage t-shirts.  I traveled some in 2011 (Toronto and Los Angeles) and in each city, I made a point to hit up thrift shops. I found some AMAZING treasures!  I picked up 20 or more t-shirts in L.A. that I'm giving for Christmas gifts.  I got Lakers, Dodgers and Raiders, as well as some just plain cool shirts (Jesus is my Homie; Bad Ass Coffee Company).  I didn't spend more than $4 on each shirt (average cost was $3).  They are sure to be a big hit.  (Sorry, no pictures as they are already wrapped). Trust me, it's worth a trip to the thrift shop.

I know not everyone likes to bargain shop like I do. But if you want to save money, you've got to buy throughout the year.  I buy when things are on sale and keep for Christmas. (The hardest thing to do is not give someone their gift early, however, it really defeats the purpose of saving if you give someone their gift in August. Believe me, you will be out buying them another gift - and spending twice as much).

What creative ways are you using in gift giving this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment