Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Craft A Week #2: Lalaloopsy Doll

I am in the throws of toy making for the holidays.  This week's craft project was a crocheted Lalaloopsy doll.  If you aren't familiar with Loopsey dolls, here's what they look like:


The original Loopsy doll is made by MGA Entertainment. The story of Lalaloopsy is, “they were once rag dolls that magically came to life when their very last stitch was sewn.” In the story, each doll is made from fabric and takes on the personality of the fabric from which they have been made.

They have big heads, skinny bodies, arms, and legs. They also have awesome hair!  Since I don't know how to sew I decided to try a crocheted version.  (I did find a pattern online but it was of very little help. I had to totally rework it to be of any use. I will write out the instructions for the next one I make).

Here's my first Lalaloopsy endevor:


Since I was making this for a toddler, I made the eyes and cheeks out of crochet.I didn't want to glue anything on or use buttons that could be pulled off. I also added a nose because I know it is confusing for little people who are just learning about facial recognition when pieces are missing.  I also put  pipe cleaners in her arms and legs so she can be posed.




She's a pretty good size; about 18" long. 


I also found a website that is called the "Unofficial Lalaloopsy Doll Website" that will definately be a source of inspiration for me and my future Loopsy doll making.  Here's the link:  Lalaloopy Headquarters

I want to make one for Natalie (who is 4) and I think I will use felt for the cheeks and buttons for the eyes. Since she's a big girl, if the eyes do come off, she won't try to swallow them (hopefully)!

The first version of anything I make is just about getting the mechanics down. I'm looking forward to making more of these. She was very fun to create!


No comments:

Post a Comment