Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Dog Treats

I've had a wonderfully domestic week! Today I cleaned like a fiend....believe me, my house needed it! I love all my Granddogs but am painfully aware of how dirty the house gets when there are so many of them. I even steam cleaned the couch. (Note to self: DO NOT give the dogs rawhide bones...they will eat them on the couch and make a slobbery mess).


Keeping in my puppy love mode, I also made dog biscuits. I found a basic dog treat recipe (flour, corn meal, egg and oil) and added a can of wet cat food for flavor (it called for wet dog food and I didn't have any). While it did smell kind of funky in my kitchen while they were cooking, the dogs had no problem gobbling them down!


Here's the treats to send to my sweet God dogs, Frank and Beans:




Dog Tested, Mother Approved!

Dana asked if I would post my recipe. I found a basic recipe and modified it. To the best of my recollection, here's what I did:

2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 T dried parsely
1 egg
1/2 c chicken boullion
1 small can wet cat food (I didn't have any wet dog food so I used what I had)
Additional corn meal as needed.
Mix flour, corn meal and parsely together.   Mix egg and chicken boullion together. Add the dry mixture to the wet. (It will be really stiff). Once that is mixed, add the cat food.  Add as much corn meal as you need to make a stiff dough that you can handle.


Make little balls (1 teaspoon) of this mixture. Place on greased cookie sheet. Take a well floured glass (bottom) and smash down the balls. You will do this several times so they are pretty thin (1/4-1/2"). 


Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes. Flip over and cook another 5-10 minutes till they are dried out.
I put them in a plastic container. Think they should go in the fridge if you have them longer than a few days.


Here's a link to alot of other dog treat recipes.

Home Made Dog Treats

No comments:

Post a Comment