Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese

I've made crockpot mac and cheese for so long that I don't have a written recipe. But as per Jenn's request, here it is!

  • 1 box of macaroni (elbow, rontoni, riggatoni: whatever you like)
  • 12ounces of grated sharp cheese (1.5 blocks). While I prefer sharp or extra sharp, I will use whatever I have on hand.
  • 4 ounces of cream cheese, cut into cubes
  • 1 t powdered mustard (if you have it. If not, you can make without. I just like the little bit of spiceness this gives).
  • 1 t salt
  • 1/2 t pepper
  • 4 T butter or margerine
  • 20 ounces of milk (or more)

Cook the noodles as instructed on the box - except cook for 2 minutes less. This helps so the cooked mac and cheese isn't major mushy.  Dump into greased crock pot. Turn on low.

Add all ingredients, except milk, and mix.  Once that is done, pour in enough milk to bring to the top of the noodles and cheese. Stir a little, cover, and let it cook.

Check this in two hours.  Stir and add more milk as needed. You will want to keep the milk pretty high early on. As it cooks, the noodles absorb the milk and it thickens up. Once it starts to thicken up, check back every hour or so to make sure it isn't getting mushy or dried out.

The time needed for this really depends on your crockpot. In some of my crockpots (I have 5!) it takes 4 hours; in others it takes more like 6. 

Yummy, yummy!  Enjoy this Jenn and let me know how it comes out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment