Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Random Bits of Goodness Mirror

Those who know me understand that I truly enjoy kids, toys, and crafts. I love my grandchildren (and their friends, and my neighbor's kids). Our family has six children between the ages of 3 and 9 (and another sweet little baby joining us in March 2012). 

Five of our six children are within 2 years of each other so they've gone through the same developmental cycles around the same time. That means I've got alot of little plastic toys all over my house! Now that the most of the kids have outgrown them, I was on the lookout for something to do with all the residual playthings. (Obviously, I wasn't about to just toss the stuff out).  I came upon this very cool project!

The good people at the website "Can't Stop Making Things" (don't you love that name?!) gave me a solution. They call it a Faux Metal Mirror. I call it Random Bits of Goodness! I love all the little chachke that comes with little kids. This project gave me a great way to recycle, save and display toys that would otherwise have been thrown away.

It's a proces, so bear with me!

Supplies:

  • Artist Canvas (mine is 16" x 20")
  • Mirror tile (mine is 12" x 12")
  • Lots of discarded plastic toys, or anything in your junk drawer (mine took alot. I knew there was a reason I saved all those KinderEgg toys)!
  • Liquid Nails glue
  • Spray paint for plastic (I bought pink because it was on sale at Ollie's for .99)
  • Primer spray paint (I used rust color)
  • Copper Metal & Patina Glaze by Valspar
  • Antiquing Glaze by Valspar
  • Clear spray

Tools
  • Masking tape
  • Paint brush
  • Clean cloth (to apply the Antiquing Glaze)

Note: "Can's Stop Making Things" said to use Copper Topper but I couldn't find it locally so I substituted the Valspar products.



This is what I started with. I centered and glued the mirror onto the canvas.



Glue all the goodies onto the canvas, around the mirror.


Here's a close up. This was a process for me. I put things where I thought I wanted them but let it sit overnight before glueing in place. I'm glad I did because I changed some things. When you are satisfied with your placement, glue them into place.



Tape off the mirror. Spray paint with a paint made for plastic. The color doesn't matter. (Mine was pink). This coat is just so the true base coat will adhere appropriately. Apparently it will stick better if all pieces are covered in the plastic paint. I used several light coats to make sure everything was covered without dripping.




Allow to completely dry. Once that is done, spray with the rust primer.  Again, use light coats but make sure to completely cover all sides of the objects with the paint.




The Valspar product says to allow the base coat to dry at least 4 hours before using. This was a total test of patience for me as I really wanted to see the completed project!


The next step was to apply the copper glaze. I put two coats on, allowing the first coat to dry before applying the second. While the second coat is still wet, I applied the antiqueing glaze. I let it dry overnight and then sprayed with the sealer.


Viola! My completed project!  I absolutely love how it came out! I don't think the pictures really do it justice. I'm still waiting for the sealer to dry and I will take more pictures later. Looks like metal, right?! I was going to hang this in my spare bedroom but I love it so much I think I will hang in the living room.



Since this came out so well, I'm going to make another picture. I'm interested in religious iconography and think I shall do one with crosses and angels. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment