Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Crockpot Applesauce

I was a total domestic goddess today!  Yesterday we went to Breanna's new house (looks amazing! They've done so much and it looks wonderful). Her house butts up against an apple orchard so we picked some apples. I came home with a nice big bag of apples.


As you know, I make most anything in the crockpot. I use the slow cooker for multiple reasons. One is because I like to make things in stages. Using the crockpot enables me to do the prep and cooking first, and clean up later. Second, I love the wonderful sweet smells the come from cooking something for hours. This recipe filled my house with lovely aromas of apples and spices for most of the day; who needs a smelly candle when you can get these scents naturally?!

Here's my recipe:

  • 10 apples (cored, peeled, and cut into pieces. Mine were about 1" but I wasn't precise)
  • 2 t pumpkin pie spice (you can use cinnamon if you want but I like the mix of flavors with pumpkin pie spice)
  • 1 t vanilla
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c water
Dump the apples in the crock pot, add the other ingredients and mix well to coat. Set crock pot on low and cook for 6-8 hours. 




That's it!  Super simple.  I like my applesauce chunky so I don't mash it up. If you like smoother applesauce, mix the cooked applesauce with an immersion blender or stick in the food processer.

This recipe made a quart (which I canned) and about 2 additional cups (which I put in the fridge to eat this week). Try the recipe and let me know how much you love it!


Yummy!



No comments:

Post a Comment