Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Craft A Week #22 Broomstick Crochet Bracelet

In one of my pinning expeditions, I found a beautiful bracelet done in Broomstick Crochet. I've been a crocheter for 35 years but never heard of this stitch. The stitch seems complicated but once you get the hang of it, it is rather simple and very, very pretty.

I love how you get a different look depending upon the kind of yarn used. These came out so pretty that I may just have the motivation I need to finally open my Etsy Shop!

These were made with hemp. I found the hemp much easier to use if it is soaked in water a few hours before trying to crochet with it. The bracelet on the right was created with the softened hemp. It gives a much smoother look than the one on the left.


I like the lacey effect this technique creates.

Here's a close-up of the hemp bracelet.

This bracelet was made from Sugar and Creme yarn.

This was made from soy yarn. It is much smoother (and lighter).  I would really like to see these with cool, vintage buttons. All I had on hand were these wooden beads. I think these are pretty but my style is more vintage. Guess I have something else to keep an eye out for when yard saling and thrift shopping.

The link I found on Pinterest gave a pattern that was rather awkward to do. Rather than follow those instructions (which called for keeping the stitches on the "broomstick" or large crochet hook I used), I caste on the stitches (as instructed in the following link) but then removed ALL stitches from the "broomstick" while working them. If you are careful with the stitches, they won't unravel. I found it just too difficult to try and work the stitches while keeping them on the post.

Here is a good tutorial for Broomstick Crochet:  Yarn Lover's Room.  Don't be intimidated by the stitch; it's really pretty simple. So simple that I think I'm going to teach my 9 year old grandson.

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment