Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Monday, March 26, 2012

Day of the Dead Sugar Skulls Craft A Week #27

I think religious iconography is fascinating. I love how different cultures interpret and convey their religious beliefs. I grew up in Southern California and, while I was not raised Catholic, I have a strong appreciation for Catholic artistic interpretation of religious symbols. I've always thought that Sugar Skulls for the Day of the Dead are particularly cool.

If you aren't familar with the Day of the Dead, it is a National Mexican holiday that takes place on November 1-2. The holiday focuses on praying for and remembering friends and family members who have died. For more information on Day of the Dead, please go to Mexican Sugar Skull.

One of the traditions that occurs during Day of the Dead is honoring lost loved ones with Sugar Skulls. These are supposed to represent those who have passed.  While they are traditionally made from sugar (hence the name Sugar Skulls), I made some out of painted rocks. I think they will make nice worry stones.  What do you think?


This is a picture of my Sugar Skull and crocheted rocks. It's getting a little crowded on here; think it's time to do some gifting. (Cydnee, which is your favorite?)

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment